Date:      Tue, 05 Sep 2000 12:53:10 -0400
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@columbus.rr.com>
To:        FreeBSD-Stable <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Stop error in make world

John Reynolds~ wrote:

> Well, I just cvsup'ed 1 hour ago and built world. No problems. That segfault
> you got when building perl looks really odd. Other people have said that
> segfaults during buildworld are generally hardware problems. Most likely
> memory.

I'd be surprised ... considering I did a successful `make world' about a
month ago with no problems, and I've done many compilations (Apache,
MySQL, php, ssh) on this machine with no problems prior to this. Still,
it's a possibility, things do wear out/break/etc.

> Any chance of you swapping out the memory in the machine?

That's pretty much a last resort ... my goal is to fix this without
having to drive 3.5 hours to the location where it exists. If nothing
else works, I'll do that.

> Anyway, just reporting "no errors" here with a fresh tree.

Well, that's good news, it means I've botched something. I think the
mistake is that I accidentally got a 3.X-STABLE tree over top the 4.X
tree and the version of perl from 3.X (whatever version that is) isn't
up to doing some of the chores that are required for a 4.X make world.
My plan of attack at this point is:
make -k buildworld
make installworld
make buildworld

If at that point I have no errors, I'm home free to rebuild a current
kernel and make installworld again.

If I'm still having trouble. I'm going to try cvsdowning to 4.0-STABLE
(which is what the machine was before this all started) and see if I can
get it working.
If that doesn't work and I can still get ssh access to the machine, I'll
get really desperate and try getting a 3.5.1 machine on here.
If that doesn't work, I'm driving 3.5 hours to do a clean installation
(please no)

If anyone has any better attack plans, I'm interested to hear them.

Thanks for all the help so far.

-Bill

--
FreeBSD ('BSD'):
No battles to the death are recalled. It is a small Daemon wearing