Date:      Tue, 17 Mar 1998 09:01:34 -0600 (CST)
From:      "Paul T. Root" <proot@horton.iaces.com>
To:        kevin.choi@cnes.fr (Kevin Kyeong-il CHOI)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How can I make my IDE CD-ROM work ?

In a previous message, Kevin Kyeong-il CHOI said:
> Hello there,
> I have a FreeBSD v2.1 bought from Walnut Creek CDROM.
> I installed this on my machine which has a Goldstar IDE type CD-ROM.
> Well,
> The curious thing is that I am capable to detect the CDROM
> from the FreeBSD boot diskette and install whatever I want, but
> once the system is installed and restart the machine,
> the CD-Rom will never be available for the system.
>
> I'm coming to see the support IDE for the IDE cdrom is yet alpha version,
> but how do you explain this phenomene and
> what is the solution to have my CD-ROM back so that I can add some more
> packages whenever I want ?
>
> Thank you very much for your attention and for your rapid answer as well
> !!!!! :)

2.1 is very old. ATAPI support is much better in 2.2.x release (2.2.6 will
be out w/in the month, I'd guess).

Anyway, you're problem is probably that the GENERIC kernel doesn't include
the ATAPI cdrom line. Build you're own kernel.

Also check to make sure the device exists. /dev/wcd0a and /dev/wcd0c

--
"I didn't accept it.  I received it."
-- Richard Allen, National Security Advisor to President Reagan, explaining