Date:      Sat, 16 Sep 2000 20:43:36 +0200
From:      Gabriel Ambuehl <gabriel_ambuehl@buz.ch>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re[2]: Strange things in 4.1 since last night's update?

Hello O.,

> First thing I do is: check out what have been changed in /etc and /etc/defaults.
> OpenSSH is indeed now in the source tree and I use it frequently. But: you should
> be aware that your /etc/make.conf is up to date and the other stuff. FreeBSD is now
> on that lucky way that all rc-files have so called "local", if site-specific things
> should be changed. Make sure you have a /etc/rc.conf.local derived from /etc/defaults/rc.conf
> but be aware not to include the inclusions of this file again, otherwise you'll get a
> never ending loop. Well, if you used ssh before, you should remove all configuration files
> and take a fresh installation.

The box runs a newly installed 4.1 Release (from scratch, it was a new
HD) which has been updated to 4.1-Stable via make installworld. All
other boxes we have are using ssh without any problems (running
various 4.1-STABLE versions, between yesterday and two weeks ago).
I've activated sshd as needed in /etc/rc.conf (UPDATING doesn't know
anything about any recent changes from rc.conf to rc.conf.local and on
the other boxes, it works like a charm). To me, it appears as OpenSSH
doesn't even get installed. It is in /usr/obj but I can't find it
anywhere else (no sshd in /usr/sbin for example). There aren't any
manpages, as well. It might be related to the make buildworld trouble
I'm currently experiencing so I'll try again tomorrow (and if that
doesn't help I'll try the port ;-)...

Best regards,
 Gabriel