Date:      Wed, 08 Nov 2000 10:37:28 -0700
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@scsiguy.com>
To:        "Matthew N. Dodd" <winter@jurai.net>
Cc:        Bill Paul <wpaul@FreeBSD.ORG>, Warner Losh <imp@village.org>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: vx driver patch

>On Wed, 8 Nov 2000, Justin T. Gibbs wrote:
>> So the EISA attachment doesn't set RF_SHAREABLE if the system is using
>> a level sensitive interrupt?
>
>The current EISA code isn't as smart as it should be.

Speaking of that, I'd like to see the EISA code move to be
more like PCI.  We should see if there is something at slot
0 and only then attempt to probe for sub-devices on the bus.
The only reason this isn't done is because I, due to the
fledgling nature of the EISA code and the ahc VL card's
almost looking like EISA cards, did the wrong thing here.
We also need to be verifying that io ranges required to
probe for slots are not already claimed by other devices
before we blindly access them.  For this to all work with
the VL ahc cards, the EISA code will have to release all
resources associated with empty slots and the ahc driver will
have to grow an ISA front end.  I'm willing to help out on
this work (still have a functional EISA machine), but I stopped
short last time over concern on how to support Alpha/PA-RISC
machines that might have multiple EISA busses.

>I've got uncommitted code that ties it to the ELCR.

Is this stuff documented anywhere?  I've always wanted to gain
access to the aic7xxx card's nonvolatile region in the ELCR,
but I could never find out how to do this.

>Bus front end code shouldn't have to know about level/edge triggered IRQs.

So long as the ELCR is guaranteed to work.

--
Justin