Date:      Sat, 31 Mar 2001 22:24:43 -0500
From:      "Dennis Jun" <dennisjun@home.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   QoS: altq with hfsc/cbq

Hello all!

I'm trying out altq with hfsc, but I'm having a difficult time
understanding it. I've read the documentation several times however it
doesn't quite make sense to me.

Specifically, I just want to setup hfsc (or even cbq, but it seems to me
it can't control borrowing very accurately) with 2 classes. The total
bandwidth is 45K. Class 1 will have a guaranteed bandwidth of 40K and
class 2 will have a guaranteed bandwidth of 5K. Furthermore, each class
can borrow as much bandwidth from each other as they want, as long as it's
not being used by the owner of the class. Here is a copy of my config:

#
# a config for hierachical sharing
#

interface xl0 bandwidth 360K hfsc

class hfsc xl0 def_class root pshare 10 default

class hfsc xl0 lan root grate 228K pshare 89
        filter xl0 lan  0 0 0 0 6
        filter xl0 lan  0 0 0 0 17
class hfsc xl0 ftpd root grate  60K pshare 1
        filter xl0 ftpd 0 0 0 20 6
        filter xl0 ftpd 0 0 0 50000-50050 6

What is confusing me is pshare. What does pshare mean exactly? Is the the
amount of bandwidth a class can borrow of the total unused bandwidth? And
what about grate. Can why can't I make the lan class have a grate of 300K?
Please bare with me as I am a newbie when it comes to QoS and it's
concepts. Much thanx in advance.