Date:      Wed, 26 Jun 2002 16:22:45 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Paul English <penglish@hydro.washington.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Mozilla (1.0) crashing problem

I have a problem with Mozilla 1.0 crashing. It seems like something
avoidable. The error is:
open dsp: No such file or directory
Gdk-ERROR **: BadAccess (attempt to access private resource denied)

This occurs whenever I go to certain sites (quite a few actually). My
assumption is that mozilla is trying to access the nonexistant sound
device on my machine. I tried to fool it by just creating an empty file
there, or a link to /dev/null for /dev/dsp, but then I get:
ioctl SNDCTL_DSP_RESET: Inappropriate ioctl for device
ioctl SNDCTL_DSP_SETFMT: Inappropriate ioctl for device
ioctl SNDCTL_DSP_SETFMT: Inappropriate ioctl for device
ioctl SNDCTL_DSP_SPEED: Inappropriate ioctl for device
ioctl SNDCTL_DSP_GETBLKSIZE: Inappropriate ioctl for device
Gdk-ERROR **: BadAccess (attempt to access private resource denied)

So it seems that it can't be fooled. What can I do? It seems that there is
now way in userland to tell mozilla not to use sound, and there isn't at
the level of ports options either.

Paul