Date:      Fri, 09 Jun 2000 19:37:09 -0400
From:      "Jeroen C. van Gelderen" <jeroen@vangelderen.org>
To:        "Andrey A. Chernov" <ache@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>, Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.ORG>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mktemp() patch

"Andrey A. Chernov" wrote:

> > > Pseudo random numbers are so cheap (or they should be) that you
> > > just don't want to try and 'optimize' here. It is much better to
> > > be conservative and use a good PRNG until it *proves* to be very
> > > problematic.
> >
> > Why not just XOR the whole lot into the current ${randomnumber}?
> > That way, at least the effort of the whole calculation is not wasted
> > as much.

Good point, there is no need to throw them away indeed.

> Why to XOR true random bits from arc4random() with non-random bits from
> getpid()? It only weakens. Better way is just remove any getpid() code and
> left arc4random() only.

Then you will get collisions which you will have to deal with. I am not
familiar with the code but if we can handle collisions nicely then that
would be the way to go: 64^6 = 2^36 possibilities which is nice...

Cheers,
Jeroen
--
Jeroen C. van Gelderen          o      _     _         _
jeroen@vangelderen.org  _o     /\_   _ \\o  (_)\__/o  (_)