Date:      Fri, 22 Oct 2004 13:58:16 +0200
From:      des@des.no (=?iso-8859-1?q?Dag-Erling_Sm=F8rgrav?=)
To:        Andre Oppermann <andre@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Removing T/TCP and replacing it with something simpler

Andre Oppermann <andre@freebsd.org> writes:
>   o T/TCP only available on FreeBSD.  No other Operating System or TCP/IP
>     stack implements it to my knowledge.  Certainly no OS that is common.

AFAIK, both Linux and Windows support it, at least on the server side
(i.e. they can receive T/TCP connections even if they can't initiate
them).

>   o T/TCP requires different API calls than TCP to use it (UDP like).

Only on the client side, I believe.

>   o T/TCP is not supported by any common network application.

Prior to libfetch, fetch(1) used it by default.

> Thus after the removal of T/TCP for the reasons above I want to provide
> a work-alike replacement for T/TCP's functionality:

Unlike your proposal, T/TCP is described in Internet RFCs (1379 and
1644) and well-known by the Internet community.

> If you haven't read and/or unstood the link above or TCP/IP Illustrated
> Volume 3 then please refrain from participating in this discussion!

Nice.

DES
--=20
Dag-Erling Sm=F8rgrav - des@des.no