Date:      Sat, 28 Oct 2000 21:27:49 +0200
From:      Lucas Nussbaum <lucas@ians.be>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   lpt no detected at boot time

Hello,

I'm sorry to ask this question here, but I've been through the handbook, the LINT file, and the ppc, ppbus and lpt man pages without finding any solution ...

I'm trying to configure a printer corrected on LPT0. I'm running FreeBSD 3.5-STABLE.

Here's my kernel config file :
controller      ppbus0
device          lpt0    at ppbus?
device          ppi0    at ppbus?
device          pps0    at ppbus?

device          ppc0    at isa? port? tty irq 7

And here's the corresponding dmesg output :

ppc0 at 0x3bc irq 7 on isa
ppc0: Generic chipset (ECP/PS2/NIBBLE) in COMPATIBLE mode
ppi0: <generic parallel i/o> on ppbus 0
lppps0: <Pulse per second Timing Interface> on ppbus 0

(no mention of lpt0)

Of course :
root@oxygene:/dev> sh MAKEDEV lpt0
root@oxygene:/dev> lptest > /dev/lpt0
su: /dev/lpt0: Device not configured

What's wrong ? I really don't understand ...
Thanks a lot for having read me ;o)

Lucas Nussbaum
lucas@ians.be

PS: Could you cc me when answering ? I'm can read that mailing list here ... Thanks !