Date:      Sat, 16 Sep 2000 13:59:38 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        <keith@mail.telestream.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Which DB

keith@mail.telestream.com writes:
> A bit of DB confussion for me that I'd like to have cleared up if someone
> cares to respond.
> What is the difference between SQL, MSQL, MySQL? And which one is the most
> widely used?

SQL is the name of the language you use to talk to the
database. MicroSoft, in their usual fashion, calls their SQL database
product "SQL Server". They bought it from Sybase.

There are a number of other free choices for SQL servers. See the
catalog of free database systems at <URL:
ftp://ftp.idiom.com/pub/free-databases > for a list.

mSQL and MySQL are the most popular free database systems. I believe
MySQL is the more popular of the two, as mSQL development went through
a hiatus at one time. However, neither of them supports transactions.
This means you either limit yourself to simple applications, or spend
a lot of time worrying about the concurrency issues a database is
supposed to solve for you.

Personally, I use postgresql, but there are other good free solutions
that support transactions.  Since some of them appeared after I chose
postgresql, it wouldn't surprise me if I would think they were better
than postgresql at this point. Again, see the free database list.

There are also reports that the demo/developer versions the commercial
database vendors have released for Linux work very well under the
emulator, but the restrictions on them made them unsuitable for my
purposes.

	Thanx,
	<mike