Date:      Sun, 04 Feb 2001 21:38:49 -0600
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        Marc W <mwlist@lanfear.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD tanks on an Athlon 750

Marc W writes:
>     Something ain't quite right.  I told the BIOS to reset itself and
> set all the settings for optimal performance, and then I held down the
> INS key on reboot.  The Solaris OS booted up turbo quick, and was
> suddenly zippy fast again.

Progress, I presume?

>     I then rebooted, and switched the boot device in the BIOS to be
> the SCSI drives with FreeBSD.  Suddenly it tanks again.
>
>     Super wacky.  I think I'll just make this a winders machine and
> take the 1GHz processor that the fiancee is runnign win2k with for a
> real os :-0

My A7V didn't have performance problems with an 800 MHz Thunderbird,
but it did have reliability problems. If I could get a fair amount of
network traffic, sym0 ('875), and onboard Promise ATA-100 activity the
system would freeze. Forgot if it eventually rebooted. Do remember
there was no panic message.

In other words, "make -j4 buildworld" with source on SCSI, /usr/obj on
ATA, while agressive web surfing on cable modem, would lock the machine.

Reading all the manuals carefully saw "PCI 2.2" and mention of
concurrent PCI transactions and other scary things. None of my PCI cards
are new enough to know what/if PCI 2.2 means to them.

Not sure which of 3 things, or combination, was the cure but "System
Performance" is "Normal" (vs default Optimal), "PCI Master Read Caching"
is "Disabled" (vs default "Enabled" for Athlon), and "Delayed
Transaction" is also "Disabled" (vs default "Enabled" for Athlon).

With those changes the system has been rock solid 24/7 the past month.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net