Date:      Mon, 10 Aug 1998 23:55:02 +0200
From:      Stefan Esser <se@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Andreas Klemm <andreas@klemm.gtn.com>, Satoshi Asami <asami@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG, Stefan Esser <se@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: qt versions

On 1998-08-10 08:50 +0200, Andreas Klemm <andreas@klemm.gtn.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 09, 1998 at 04:42:16PM -0700, Satoshi Asami wrote:
> > Oh by the way, I see that kde* ports are BUILD_DEPENDS-ing on `moc' in
> > addition to LIB_DEPENDS-ing on libqt, I guess we can just use
> > LIB_DEPENDS for USE_QT, right?
>
> Don't know what Stefan would say, but I'd say yes ;-)

Well, yes and no ...

I know some people just delete files that seem unnecessary whenever
they run out of disk space, and those people may consider "moc" a
waste of disk space (they remember to have never used it ;-) ...

That would lead to spurious PRs about the port being broken, and the
poor port maintainer had to explain people they have to re-install Qt,
even though the KDE port they are trying to build seemed to have all
dependencies satisfied ...

For that reason, I'd rather keep that dependency line in the Makefile.

I'm all for a USE_QT as suggested by Satoshi (IIRC). That could imply
the build dependency, too, at negligible extra cost ;-)

Regards, STefan