Date:      Sun, 09 Mar 1997 03:15:30 -0800
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        Andreas Klemm <andreas@klemm.gtn.com>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: AMD K6 [ was Re: RSA 56-bit key challenge ]

>Well, sounds nice to me. BTW, heard interesting things about AMD's K6.
>Currently I dislike Intels marketing strategy how they push the
>Klamath, which is performing bad compared to the PPro ... And Intels
>new Level one slot for "mainly" Intel CPU's ... I think you read already
>yourself about it ...

   I haven't heard much about it. It's probably too soon to make any
judgements about the performance of Intel's "Pentium II" stuff.

>Do you think, that AMD's soon coming K6 would be a good choice, since
>it allows insertion into a ZIF 7 socket...

   This might be a reasonable way to go as long as you don't need SMP.

>What do you think, will FreeBSD / gcc support the new CPU without
>problems ? Any clues ? Should I wait for the K6 or buy a PPro
>based board now ?

   We'll have to wait and see, but I suspect that it will work just fine. The
price of P6's has come down so much that I don't see any reason to delay.

-DG

David Greenman