Date:      Tue, 07 Mar 2000 01:42:52 +0900
From:      "Akinori -Aki- MUSHA" <knu@idaemons.org>
To:        ernst@jollem.com
Cc:        sada@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG, noway@nohow.demon.co.uk
Subject:   Re: linux-jdk-1.2.2 ports

  Hi,

At Mon, 06 Mar 2000 17:05:31 +0100,
Ernst de Haan <ernst@jollem.com> wrote:
> >   I'd recommend `linux-jdk12'.  In this case, the minor version should
> > not be included and the vendor name could be dropped.
>
> Well, there is the Sun/Inprise JDK as well, and IBM is planning on
> delivering a Linux Java 2 implementation sometime soon as well, so we will
> have to distinguish between these.

  They will be `linux-{sun,inprise,ibm}-jdk12'.  I think we could
consider Blackdown's one as fundamental and original version of Linux
JDK 1.2.  Sun and Insprise had just made modifications or enhancements
over it and IBM had made another implementation, based on Sun's work.

  Blackdown's credit will appear in COMMENT and/or DESCR anyway.

  However, `linux-blackdown-jdk12' would be acceptable for me though
it's kind of too long. :)

> Suggestion:
>
>    java/blackdown-jdk12

  You seem to forget the most important thing.  A port which runs
under the Linux mode should have the `linux-' prefix, especially when
we (are to) have a native version.

--
                           /
                          /__  __

"If you choose not to decide you still have made a choice."