Date:      Sat, 20 Jan 2001 06:17:35 +1000
From:      "Doug Young" <dougy@bryden.apana.org.au>
To:        "Mark Banschbach" <mrbear37@yahoo.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: installation headaches

Ummmm .....the experts will, no doubt, suggest that this question belongs in
the "questions" rather than the "newbies" list so I've posted it to both

My suggestion is to beg borrow steal or hire a bunch of 4Mb RAM sticks ....
I've had a bunch of  those dinosaurs running  even 4.2 quite well (in
command line mode anyway) but don't even think about trying it with 4Mb RAM
..... I've never had any joy installing with less than 16 although I've done
the odd one that worked OK with 8 after installation.

Couple other issues you need to be aware of .... don't even think of running
X on a 386, and if you intend connecting a modem it will most probably need
to be an internal 28.8k or 33.6k (NOT a 56k one !!!!) to get around the
prehistoric UARTs.