Date:      Tue, 20 Jun 95 12:02:10 MDT
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        tinguely@plains.nodak.edu (Mark Tinguely)
Cc:        mnewell@lupine.nsi.nasa.gov, hackers@freebsd.org, jkh@freebsd.org, witr@rwwa.com
Subject:   Re: 2.0.5 ed driver problems continued

> thanks for the idea, but yes, the jumper is set for "soft". Something in
> boot process re-programed the card. Then again the Ultra-Plus seems
> have two programing modes, a temporary and long term configuration. I say this
> because if you use the DOS "ezsetup" software and configure the card the
> settings are permanent and if you change the settings via the "diagnose"
> program, the settings are not permanent but last for until rebooted. Maybe
> something got placed in the nonpermanent confirguration section of the card.

Disable the ie0 driver entirely by booting /kernel -c.

Then once you are up, rebuild a kernel without the ie0 driver.

The particular cards serviced by the ie0 driver have a habit of not
being detectable except through a destructive probe.  Said probe
could be causing your card to be reprogrammed.

If it isn't the ie0 driver, make sure you disable all other unused
drivers and try again.  This should surely fix the problem.

Then once you are up, rebuild a kernel without any drivers for hardware
not in your machine.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu
---