Date:      Wed, 09 Aug 2000 14:36:40 EDT
From:      "Greg Thompson" <johnnyteardrop@hotmail.com>
To:        crandall@matchlogic.com
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: threadsafe name resolution

>From: Charles Randall <crandall@matchlogic.com>
>
>Is there a reason that ADNS won't work for this?
>
>http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~ian/adns/

in addition to the other reasons mentioned, it won't work for me because
it's not a part of the os.  as an application developer, i'd expect the
basic services to work without me having to grab random packages to solve
already solved problems.

someone else pointed out that the old gethostbyname/addr pair isn't
threadsafe.  i realize this.  what i was suggesting is that someone could
perhaps implement gethostbyname_r and gethostbyaddr_r.  call these a hack if
you will, but they solve the problem just fine on other platforms.

as long as nothing other than getipnodebyname and byaddr share resources
with those two, i'm safe if i just throw a mutex around my calls to
byname/addr.  unfortuantely, this solution gets the "big suck" rating.  if
the operating system ships with mechanisms that are documented as being
thread-safe, they should be.  if they're not, it should be clearly stated in
a bug report somewhere that this is the case.  i have submitted a bug with
KAME.  i hope they fix it soon.  in the meantime, it'd be nice if freebsd
had an alternative.