Date:      Sun, 21 Jun 1998 13:06:13 -0700
From:      Tim Gerchmez <fewtch@serv.net>
To:        Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Current projects...

At 05:54 AM 6/20/98 +1000, Sue Blake wrote:

>PLEASE don't encourage anyone who hasn't got ten years of unix
>development experience to ever even CONTEMPLATE using freebsd-current,
>let alone any part thereof.

I never encourage anyone to try anything.  I just do what I like myself and
see what happens.  If I want to use freebsd-current, I'd love to see you
try and stop me (You'd need a plane ticket from Australia to Seattle, to
start...)

>This is a DEFINITE NO-NO.

Sorry, ma... (twirling toe in the dirt)...

>I can explain to you later, but for now, PLEASE take my word for it.
>FreeBSD-CURRENT is no-touchy!

I thought you were a newbie yourself.  I'll take advice on this from an
expert, but from another newbie?  Forget it.  The blind leading the blind,
and all that, dontcha know.

>I gotta try to find a way to make this more clear than it is.

How about getting a megaphone and taking a jog around the block, yelling it
out loud at full volume.  Or maybe create an Internet worm that invades
servers all over the world and simply displays a message on everyone's
screen who's connected: "ANYONE WITH LESS THAN TEN YEARS EXPERIENCE WHO
TRIES FREEBSD-CURRENT IS SUBJECT TO PROSECUTION."

Sorry for the cynicism... but I personally never encourage anyone to try
anything that I do myself, I simply report what I do.  Also, you need to
realize that people have minds of their own and will do what they please to
their own systems.  You do what's right for your system, and let others
decide to do what's right for theirs.

>Every now and then a newbie picks the pre-alpha version, thinking they're
>doing the right thing :-(  Any suggestions you might have would be
>welcome.

Sure - drop the subject.

--
My web site starts at http://www.serv.net/~fewtch/index.html -
lots of goodies for everyone, have a look if you have the time.