Date:      Sat, 31 Mar 2001 21:00:37 -0800
From:      Michael O'Henly <michael@tenzo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Using Linux GRUB boot loader with FreeBSD

Hello...

I'm setting up a dual-boot system (Linux and FreeBSD) on a machine that has
two hard drives. Apart from a small boot partition, the first drive will be
used entirely for FreeBSD. The Linux kernel resides in that boot partition
and GRUB is the boot loader I'm using.

I've installed FreeBSD without a boot loader with the intention of creating a
GRUB entry that points to FreeBSD...but I'm not clear on how to do this.
The GRUB entry for Linux looks like this:

title linux
kernel (hd0,4)/vmlinuz-2.2.17-21mdk root=/dev/hdb6  hdd=ide-scsi vga=791

As you can see, it names the kernel and points to the root partition on the
second drive (hdb6). I believe I either need to do something similar for
FreeBSD, or I need to use GRUB to call /boot/loader in FreeBSD.

If you have any experience with this, could you kindly steer me in the right
direction?

Thanks.

M.
M.h