Date:      Fri, 19 Mar 1999 00:41:32 +0000
From:      Mark Ovens <marko@uk.radan.com>
To:        Zippy <seth@interport.net>
Cc:        advocacy@freebsd.org, jkh@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Netscape browser

On Thu, Mar 18, 1999 at 03:17:39PM -0500, Zippy wrote:
> Just FYI (please forgive me if this is out-of-line, but it's my first
> email to this group):
>
> I spoke with some Netscape developers on the 16th.  They confirmed that
> Microsoft will be porting MSIE to Linux [1].  I asked them what it would
> take to get FreeBSD on their list of "Officially Supported" platforms.

[checks calendar to make sure it's not 1st April]

Err, why exactly would any self-respecting Unix user want Internet
Exploder?

> They said that there is interest among the developers [2], but that they'd
> need emails sent to nav-support@netscape.com to gauge interest.
>
> Can we get the word out?  I don't think spamming them is a great idea, but
> one email per address, short, polite, and to the point, might get us a
> native port that's supported.  After that we might be able to talk them
> into porting their server applications :)
>

> If you need more info, please let me know.  Thanks.
>
> SB
>
> [1]  According to the developer I talked to, Microsoft's slogan for this
> project is "Bringing the Internet to Unix".

Hahahaha, ROFL, and just what do they think has been running the
Internet for the last God knows how many years? If all the Unix
boxes on the 'net were replaced with NT tonight, the Internet
wouldn't exist tomorrow. Mind you, I guess you've got to admire M$
for having the balls to use that slogan.

> [2]  My feeling is that it's worth their while to officially support a
> native FreeBSD port, since we already have the option of running Linux
> bins.

M$ support FreeBSD? Isn't that like King Herod supporting an
orphanage?