Date:      Sun, 20 Oct 2013 09:34:36 +0200
From:      John Marino <freebsd.contact@marino.st>
To:        Paul Schmehl <pschmehl_lists@tx.rr.com>
Cc:        s_gammons@charter.net, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Compiling sguil-server on Release 9.2 i386

On 10/20/2013 03:49, Paul Schmehl wrote:

>> You should create a PR on sguil-server and document all this there and
>> request the maintainer fix it properly.  Personally I don't think any
>> shell commands are needed at all, certainly not to specify a
>> RUN_DEPENDS.  it's all messed up.
>>

> I'm the maintainer, and I can assure you I tested it thoroughly.  The
> port has built without error on many machines before this came up.  I've
> personally built and tested it numerous times.

With the MYSQL option set on?  The default is off, so building the
default configuration numerous times would not have hit this.

> Nevertheless, I will take a look at what you've discussed and attempt to
> determine what the problem is.  It appears that something may have
> changed in 9.2 that is causing the problem.  Unfortunately I don't have
> a 9.2 install, so I'll have to set one up before I can test it.

It is not a mystery what is wrong.
The RUN_DEPENDS is being executed as a shell command, not a make
definition.  That was never correct, and the new bmake makes this much
more obvious.  Secondly, I'm pretty sure you can specify
databases/mysqltcl without having to execute a make command on that
port.  Thirdly, you use ${MYSQLTCL_VER}, but it's never defined.
Apparently line 46 was intended to define it but does not.  Lastly, if
you were to use a shell command (which I highly discourage), it should
be something like this (not indented, and definitely not hardcoded to
${PORTSDIR}):
MYSQLT_VER!=  cd ${.CURDIR}/../../databases/mysqltcl && ${MAKE} -V
PORTVERSION

So that's like 4 or 5 errors right off the bat, problems that were
always present.  I suspect the legacy make simply didn't define
RUN_DEPENDS and continued building, so mysqltcl was never specified in
the package.

John