Date:      Sat, 16 Sep 2000 14:05:31 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        a11 <a11@pclv.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Someone into my system?

a11 writes:
> [...] Wed evening. I was informed that there had been a power outage and that
> "may" have caused it.

Unless you have a UPS of some sort, the power outage will have caused
your system to reboot. The last part of a reboot has messages that
look like this:

> aliasing to <our IP number> mtu 1500 bytes
> add net default: gateway <our gateway address appears here>
> additional routing options: tcp extensions=NO IP gateway=YES TCP
> keepalive=YES
> routing daemons: .
> Mounting NFS file systems.
> additional daeman: syslogdde0: DAD complete for
> fe80:0001::0240:05ff:fea1:8f42 - no duplicates found.
> dc0: DAD complete for fe80:0002::)2a):ccff:fe40:cdb6 - no duplicates
> found.
>
> Doing additional network setup: named portmap
> Starting final network daemons:.
> setting ELF ldconfig path:/usr/liv /usr/lib/compat /usr/local/lib
> setting a.out ldconfig path: /usr/lib/aout /usr/lib/compat/aout
> starting standard daemons: inetd cron sendmail.
> Initial rc.i386 initialization: .
> rc.i386 configuring syscons: blank_time
> starting local daemons: [Wed Sep 13 18:27:34 2000] [warn]
> NameVirtualHost <our secondary IP number> has no VirtualHosts
> Apache/1.3.2 mod_ssl/2.62(PassPhraseDialog) Some of your private key
> files are encrypted for security reasons. In order to read them you have
>
> to provide us with the pass phrases.
> Enter pass phrase:
>
> Thurs, a new line showed up at the bottom:
> Apache mod_ssl: Error: Pass phrase incorrect. (5 more retries permitted)
>
> Enter pass phrase:

This is from Apache, and was dealt with by Mr. Wells.

If you want to watch a reboot to see if it's different, log into the
console as root and issue the command "shutdown -r now". Yes, this
will take the system out of commision for a bit. But you should be
able to verify that the above messages are the from the last bit of
the boot process.

	<mike