Date:      Thu, 22 Nov 2001 13:14:50 -0500
From:      "ScaryG" <freymann@scaryg.shacknet.nu>
To:        "Fuji Zhang" <fzhang3@csd.uwo.ca>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: high speed internet connection and lesstif question

> hi, thx for replying. no. i don't have any network card. when i called
> BELL they seem to suggest if i have USB port on my MB i don't need to have
> network card. i have no experience or any knowledge in this thing.

 Oh, well that's a little bit different.

 First you'd have to ensure your USB DSL "modem" is supported under FreeBSD.
I have no idea if they are or aren't -- sorry.

 It's quite easy if you have an external, ethernet based DSL Modem, 'cause
then you'd connect a network cable between it and your network card.

 The FreeBSD Handbook has a chapter on PPPoE. Depending on what release of
FreeBSD you're using, it may involve recompiling your Kernel to include the
options required to do this.

# PPPoE Stuff
options         NETGRAPH
options         NETGRAPH_ETHER
options         NETGRAPH_PPPOE
options         NETGRAPH_SOCKET

 Most of the tutorials leave out one of the 4 options and then your kernel
panics with errors about netgraph already installed, so be sure to include
all four! I believe FreeBSD 4.4+ will auto load the kernel modules for you.

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/pppoe.html

 I added some items to my /etc/rc.conf file like:

# PPPoE stuff
ifconfig_vr1="up"
ppp_enable="YES"
ppp_mode="ddial"
ppp_profile="default"

 Then you have to configure /etc/ppp/ppp.conf. This is my entire file:

default:
        set device PPPoE:vr1
        set speed sync
        set mru 1492
        set mtu 1492
        set ctsrts off
        enable lqr
        set authname your.bell.user.id
        set authkey your.bell.password
        set log Phase tun command
        set dial
        set login
        set ifaddr 10.0.0.1/0 10.0.0.2/0
        add default HISADDR
#       nat enable yes

papchap:
        set authname your.bell.user.id
        set authkey your.bell.password

 In this case, vr1 is the network card I'm using to connect to the DSL
Modem. I suppose if you get your USB DSL Modem installed you would
substitute that device name there.

 They've made it super easy lately. More and more are using ADSL
connections. I remember a little over a year ago when I tried to do this
with FreeBSD 4.1 I believe, it was a bit of a hassle for about a week before
I got it working ;-)

-gf