Date:      Sat, 22 Feb 2003 17:37:18 +0000
From:      Andrew.Hodgson@lpc.tv
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to tell if Port is blocked...

Hi,

> Traceroute is not really the tool you are after.
>
> You need an external port scan done  using another Internet
> connection or by a friend, or someone you can trust will
> not use the results for nefarious means.
>
> There are sites that will do simple scans for you
> .. but of course is up to you whether you trust them ;).

The thing is, sites like grc.com won't tell you what they are scanning, so
I was led to believe that my firewall/NAT box was locked down tight - but
when I used nmap to scan my external interface, the result comes out as
'filtered'. I've been told that this is because my ISP (Blueyonder, in the
UK) performs a barrier service, protecting me from scanners (apart from
BY's own ;-). Whether a talented individual could get around this is a bit
beyond me, but I don't doubt it.

> Any such services you 'trust'?

Nmap!!

> Actually I get scanned several times a day by dopeheads looking for
> open-ports on my system. It is a fact of Internet life, it is not rocket
> science.

True.

Regards,

Andrew

This email is confidential and may well also be legally privileged.
If you have received this email in error, you are in notice of its status.
Please notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail and then delete
this message from your system. Please do not copy or use it for any
purposes, or disclose its contents to any other person: to do so
could be a breach of confidence.
Thank you for your co-operation.

sender and may not necessarily reflect the views of The RTL Group
or its associated companies.

Please contact our IT Helpdesk on +44 (0)20 7691 6996
or e-mail support.it@fremantlemedia.com if you require further assistance.