Date:      Thu, 1 Feb 1996 01:35:24 +0100 (MET)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD-current users)
Subject:   Re: invalid primary partition table: no magic

As Bruce Evans wrote:

> >Well, what about those that are about to get a label the next second?
> >New vn devices are often created by dd'ing the appropriate amount of
> >data out of /dev/zero.
>
> You can ignore the problem or dd an MBR or dd just an 0xAA55 signature.

Hmm, but the first access does always cause this message.

> >And why is it printed in the cited case, with an cd9660 image?  I
> >haven't used -s labels.
>
> Because -s labels was set previously.  I think all the options have to

Possible, but i don't remember.  Perhaps i did a `make release' once.

> live across opens so that they don't go away after you have vnconfig'ed
> them, but perhaps they should go away when the device is unconfigured.

It should, yes.

> >I think it should at least go away for vn devices.

> That's right, they are expected to know enough to ignore the problem
> or to use a binary editor to avoid it :-).  I get it all the time
> for floppies and have been ignoring it.

:-)

(Run a ``make release''.  The doFS.sh tries to optimize the file
system usage.  Be as nitpicking as i am about kernel messages, so i'm
getting all of them logged onto any xterms where i'm logged in.  Now
you know why i'm complaining... :)

--
cheers, J"org