Date:      Tue, 11 Jul 2000 17:11:09 -0600
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        papowell@astart.com
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Bringing LPRng into FreeBSD? - License Issues

papowell@astart.com wrote:

> Let me try to state this as clearly as possible:
>
> If the FreeBSD project wants to distribute LPRng under the BSD
> license,  then I will give them a license to distribute it under
> the BSD license terms.  I would add the following two provisions
> in addition to standard BSD License terms:
>
> A) The copyright and version information must be able to be
>    displayed on request at run time by use of the appropriate
>    command line option.  If the LPRng distribution is to be
>    used under the terms of the BSD license, this must be shown
>    in the information displayed at run time.
>
> [...]
>
> B) If modifications are made to this distribution then this must
>    be indicate by a notice in the source code and/or
>    effected binaries, and the notice displayed at run as part of
>    the copyright and version information.  The information must
>    include the name or identity of the person or entity modifying
>    the code and the date of modification or release if applicable.
>
> For example:
>
> ORIGINAL LPRng Distribution,  compiled from source, no changes:
>
>  ## lpc -V
>  LPRng-3.6.19, Copyright 1988-2000 Patrick Powell, <papowell@astart.com>
>
> LPRng distributed with FreeBSD under the BSD license:
>
>  ## lpc -V
>  LPRng-3.6.19, Copyright 1988-2000 Patrick Powell, <papowell@astart.com>
>  FreeBSD Project, 2000-07-07, Distributed under BSD license, http://www.freebsd.org
>
> Modified by somebody AND NOT JUST RECOMPILED:
>
>  ## lpc -V
>  LPRng-3.6.19, Copyright 1988-2000 Patrick Powell, <papowell@astart.com>
>  FreeBSD Project, 2000-07-07, BSD License, <http://www.freebsd.org>;
>  modified by: FumbleFingerd Corp, version 1.10, 2000-Jan-05, <support@ffc.hotmail.com>

I certainly have no objection to ANY of the above.  In fact, it wouldn't
bother me a bit if -V (or even -VV) spit out the entire text of the license
rather than a URL reference.

In general, BSD folks have no problems with "give credit" license clauses.
In fact, I've added this message to my growing collection of points to
consider in an ideal open-source license.