Date:      Thu, 22 Nov 2001 03:44:30 -0800
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cristjc@earthlink.net>
To:        USER <kib@mediaone.net>
Cc:        Mike Semcheski <jimmyjump77@hotmail.com>, FreeBSD@hm.homeip.net, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: natd failed to write packet back

On Wed, Nov 21, 2001 at 01:48:57PM -0500, USER wrote:
> I have a similar problem but this is affecting my clients.  It seems if a
> laptop stays connected longer than the default lease time I get the
> following message
> natd[89]: failed to write packet back (Host is down)
>
> and it repeats sometimes several hundred times an minute.
>
> On the client side the laptop in question loses all IP connectivity but
> winipcfg reports a valid lease with up to 8 hours remaining in the lease.
> Release/Renew within the client machine resolve this trouble and often the
> same IP is reissued.

If all connectivity is lost, the natd(8) message telling you the "host
is down" seems quite appropriate. The fact you are losing connectivity
sounds more like issues with DHCP or some other network configuration
problem. It sounds like natd(8) is just reporting the problem, not
causing it.

> I checked /var/log/security and it seems to be completely empty.  Is logging
> to security disabled or is it possible for there to be no messages in a case
> like this.

All depend on your syslog.conf(5).