Date:      Mon, 20 Jan 2003 17:44:38 -0600
From:      Pete Fritchman <petef@absolutbsd.org>
To:        Ade Lovett <ade@lovett.com>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ports using SSL & ipv6 by default (was: Re:  ports/47257: [update port] irc/ezbounce)

++ 20/01/03 11:58 -0600 - Ade Lovett:
| On 01/20/03 10:41, "Pete Fritchman" <petef@absolutbsd.org> wrote:
| > ++ 20/01/03 17:10 +0100 - Simon 'corecode' Schubert:
| > | how about defaulting to SSL? this is a generic question, not only
| > | specific to this port. i'd vote for default-ssl and default-ipv6 because
| > | both are well supported in the base system.
| > | porters, portmgr, comments?
| >
| > I like it, I don't see why not (since, like you said, SSL and ipv6 are
| > both in the base system).  If people don't want them, they can always
| > just add the appropriate WITHOUT_* knobs to make.conf.
|
| Unfortunately, you're assuming that all ports honor WITHOUT_SSL and
| WITHOUT_IPV6.  They don't :(  Looking at a pretty big tree-sweep to fix it,
| as well.

Right - I understand they don't, but was thinking this might be a new
policy we'd want to make in the porters handbook or something... so when
people update ports in the future that might use SSL or IPv6, they'd use
the WITHOUT_SSL and WITHOUT_IPV6 notion, instead of the other way
around.

| Defaulting SSL on I can understand, but not IPv6 -- there's lots and lots of
| IPv4-only machines out there, which have no intention of using IPv6 anytime
| soon.

And there are lots of users which don't care about their transactions
going around in plaintext, and will never use SSL.  But if it's already
in the base system, why not just add the link so it's there if they want
it, and users who are using the pre-built packages get the functionality
too?

--pete