Date:      Sun, 27 Oct 2002 08:29:38 -0500
From:      Bob Johnson <stest033@garbonzo.hos.ufl.edu>
To:        randy@turbowarp.net, questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        randy@turbowarp.net
Subject:   Re: Sendmail .forward

On Saturday 26 October 2002 11:23 pm, randy@turbowarp.net wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am afraid I don't understand the instructions that I have found on
> Sendmail.
>
> What I want done is for mail that is sent to me to also go to my pager.
> (which is internet email addressable.)

There are two ways you might go about doing this.  You can either
use a .forward file to forward ALL of your mail to another address,
or you can set up an alias that forwards all of its mail to another
address, and subscribe the alias to the mailing list.

> I have tried to figure out how to use forward, but haven't gotten it to
> work.  Where is the forward statement supposed to be and how do I use it?
> (And can I use the forward command to also forward mail to my pager?)

To use .forward, create a file in your home directory and name the file
".forward".  Don't forget the "." at the beginning of the file name.  Edit
the file so it contains a list of addresses that you want your email forwarded
to, one address per line.  You don't actually use a command named "forward".

To set up an alias, become the root user (or use sudo) and edit
/etc/mail/aliases.  Create an entry that looks something like

freddy:	pager123456@pagerland.com,fred

After you are done editing the aliases file, run the command "newaliases".

This will create an alias "freddy" for whom all mail will be forwarded to
the email address "pager123456@pagerland.com" and to the local
user "fred".  Then subscribe freddy@whateveryour.domainname.is to
the mailing list of interest.  The aliases(5) man page will give you a
few more details about this.

- Bob