Date:      Tue, 24 Nov 1998 02:02:38 -0600 (CST)
From:      Jonathan Gapen <jagapen@whitewater.chem.wisc.edu>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   ELF Global Constructors

    I'm in the process of porting GNUstep to FreeBSD 3.0, and I've run
into a lack of documentation.  Consequently, I don't know where the
problem lies.  It's like this:
    GNUstep needs to have a function _gnu_process_args() called before
main() to set up information about the process for use by the Foundation
library.  On non-Linux ELF systems, it tries this bit of code:

static void *__gnustep_base_subinit_args__
__attribute__ ((section ("_libc_subinit"))) = &(_gnu_process_args);

    This is where the lack of documentation is getting me.  I can't find
out what *will* work.  I don't know if this is the correct way to hook in
a function call before main() and FreeBSD is broken, or egcs is broken, or
if it's the wrong way entirely.
    I'm not even sure where to dig into the system source to find out
what's going on, so I'd appreciate any help/pointers.  Thanks!