Date:      28 Oct 2000 19:31:59 -0000
From:      "Giorgos Keramidas" <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        mark.rowlands@minmail.net
Subject:   Re: Satisfied w/ your desktop?

Mark Rowlands <mark.rowlands@minmail.net> writes:

> Been using KDE for about a year ... tried a couple of others, Gnome
> for example,found KDE good in terms of stability / functionality..  I
> hear from the gnomers that big strides have been made in stability
> so... it maay also now be worth a crack.

Gnome looked nice the last time I tried it too.  Too bloated for me,
though.  I am happy with a single xterm window running screen in
blackbox or windowmaker, and a few netscapes lying around.  Since I am
not the 'typical' computer user though, I could not agree more with what
is said below.

> but if a windows person asks me about using FreeBSD for a personal
> computer KDE is the one I am going to show them

When a user that comes from Windows or similar environments asks me, KDE
is what I recommend too.  But I also take care to note that if what they
want is not to 'learn the way FreeBSD works, but make it more and more
like what their Windows used to be', that they might as well stick with
Windows, if that suits their needs/desires better.

- giorgos