Date:      Wed, 29 Oct 2003 23:18:51 -0500 (EST)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Experimental FreeBSD and Linux kernel source cross reference web site

In the past when browsing the Linux source code, I've made extensive use
of the Linux Cross-Reference (LXR) hosted at lxr.linux.no.  This web site
provides a cross-referenced and searchable HTML interface to the Linux
source code; you can perform freetext and identifier searches, check
differences between revisions, etc.  For FreeBSD, we provide a cvsweb
interface that is extremely useful for tracking changes, but a little less
useful for "raw browsing" when you're looking for use of an identifier. In
the past, CMU's PDL (and possibly others) have provided FreeBSD
cross-reference web pages, but I was unable to find one once that site
went down.  As such, I've experimentally set up the LXR software with
access to several branches of the FreeBSD source code, as well as 2.4 and
2.6 Linux kernels at:

    http://fxr.watson.org/

This is experimental, but I've found it to be quite useful for my own
work.  I'm intermittently synchronizing the checked out snapshots to CVS.
LXR is a useful piece of software, but not designed to handle multiple
source code collections so well (i.e., currently isn't a good candidate
for all of src).  On the other hand, making the source code more easy to
search and browse is a very useful thing, so feel free to give it a spin
:-).  I'll probably keep tweaking and playing with the configuration, as
well as put more revisions of the Linux source online, probably drop in an
OpenBSD, NetBSD, or DFBSD snapshot or two, etc, soon also.  I don't
promise it will be there tomorrow, but if it proves useful and
interesting, it probably will be :-).

robert@fledge.watson.org      Network Associates Laboratories