Date:      22 Nov 2001 19:26:50 +0100
From:      Simon J Mudd <sjmudd@pobox.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sendmail via Windows ICS

Hello Ron,

ronh@intercom.net ("Ron Hensley") writes:

> My FreeBSD box is connected to a Windows 2000 server which connects
> to the Internet Via DirecPC Satelite. I seem to be unable to send
> outgoing mail from the FreeBSD Box.  maillog shows the connection
> out to my ISPs Sendmail and it gets accepted, but never makes it to
> the destination.

If it gets accepted by your ISPs mail server, ask your ISP why it
isn't getting to the final destination.  You obviously need logs from
/var/log/maillog to show that the mail got to them in the first place.

> Im sure its going to their postmaster account as the return address
> is to my FreeBSD Box, which has a non routable 192.168.X.X Address,
> thus it cant send me the error and instead would go to the ISPs
> postmaster.

By the return address, do you mean the sender envelope address?
normally this corresponds with your "From: user@domain.com" address.
If this is not a valid address then it is quite possible that the mail
will be junked, or if there is any problem sending the mail in the
first place the appropriate mail server won't be able to tell you.

If the sender envelope address is valid, then you should get a warning
or bounce if the message can't be sent to the final destination.

> This is also why the mails dont get sent Im suire, mail sent from
> 192.168.X.X Address, then mapped to the ISP IP the 2000 server gets
> assigned, thus things dont match up.

Your provider never sees the 192.168.x.x address - he'll see your
Windows 2000 Server's ip.  The fact that the message doesn't come
direct from your windows 2000 server shouldn't matter.

> If I had a static ip address and hostname Id have sendmail masquerade
> as that, however I get a differing dynamic one.

You can still get sendmail to masquerade, obviously having a dynamic
ip complicates this process.

> Is there a solution to this to get sendmail servers out there to
> accept mail from my box? The dialup on the 2000 can send so the ISP
> is allowing the DirecPC IPs to Relay it would seem. Id say the
> reject point would be the ISPs sendmail server seeing the
> 192.168.X.X not reslving to a name from its point of view, or the
> servers it tries to forward the mail on to.

I don't think your setup is as complicated as you suggest, perhaps showing
us some output from /var/log/maillog and giving us a completer description
of your system might help?

Simon
--
Simon J Mudd,   Tel: +34-91-408 4878,  Mobile: +34-605-085 219
Madrid, Spain.  email: sjmudd@pobox.com,  Postfix RPM Packager