Date:      Wed, 30 Jul 1997 16:24:21 -0400 (EDT)
From:      john hood <cgull@smoke.marlboro.vt.us>
To:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        sos@sos.freebsd.dk, dmaddox@scsn.net, cgull@smoke.marlboro.vt.us, doogie@forbidden-donut.anet-stl.com, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: code talks:  announcing EIDE bus master patches

[resent with correct To: headers]

Michael Smith writes:
 > Donald J. Maddox stands accused of saying:
 > > ide_pci: warning, ide0:0 not configured for DMA?
 > > ide_pci: warning, ide0:1 not configured for DMA?
 > > ide_pci: warning, ide1:0 not configured for DMA?
 > > ide_pci: warning, ide1:1 not configured for DMA?
 > > ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
 > >
 > >     Adding the proper flag does indeed enable the DMA, but I could care
 > > less about that, since I only have Win95/NT on IDE drives.  I just want to
 > > know why I am getting the messages from ide_pci, and how to shut them up.
 >
 > Turn on IDE busmastering in your BIOS.  Note the syntax of the warning
 > "not configured".  That's a message from the chipset driver daying
 > "why is this channel not configured for DMA?".  It should probably
 > just list the ports on which DMA is available and enabled/not enabled,
 > but this is, after all, only beta-level code.
 >
 > (Damn fine beta-level code if you ask me, but all the same..)

*alpha*-level, Michael, and this is part of why. :)

that message is there because i still don't know whether the BIOS is
responsible for doing any configuration of busmaster drives and
controllers.  so far, the evidence is that most BIOSes do at least
some basic configuration, but don't set the bit that says
"everything's set up now, it's OK to go ahead and use DMA."

from what I've seen so far, most BIOSes don't have a setup knob for
IDE busmastering, and it's a complete mishmash as to what BIOSes
actually do.

we've seen one panic caused by the code not working, and i'm still
waiting for somebody's drive to get corrupted because of these setup
issues.

  --jh

--
John Hood				cgull@smoke.marlboro.vt.us

Predictably, they all eventually wandered away, rubbing their bruises
and brushing mud out of their hair.  Some went off to work for the
ESA, launching much smaller rockets into low orbits, while others
elected to sit on their front porches drinking Jim Beam from the
bottle and launching bottle rockets from the empties. [Jordan Hubbard]