Date:      Tue, 11 Jun 96 9:54:05 CEST
From:      Marco Masotti <MC7953@mclink.it>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Anyone Using Adaptec 294?

I've been using  an ASUS PVI486-SP3 with a 486DX4 Overdrive for some time.

I've got several kind of repeatable problems with any operating systems
I've been trying to install.

It seemed to me that the most likely source of problems was the
combination  of ISA/VESA/PCI and/or types of boards inserted in the
mainboard.

After having settled for a combination of 2940 (lates firmware anyway) in
slot #1 and CL5430 in slot #3, with a fair success (2940 in slot #3 and
the
the same video card in slot #1 was almost a disaster of stability), I
wanted to experiment the VESA bus capability of the Asus board. Therefore,
using a 2940, in whatever slot, and a CL 5429, I've got the worst results,
with the system not able to stay alive for more than ten seconds.

The lesson I've got is to avoid usage of any PCI-ISA-VESA  all in one type
of board, and to anyway pay much attention to eventual (in)compatibility
between PCI and other PCI or non PCI boards, at least in the PVI486-SP3
main board.

Currently, I'm running such mainboard with ISA 1542B and Vesa CL5429, with
very good performance and stability.

I'd appreciate any criticism to my experience so far, because I'm still
reveling in my thoughts about.

Rgds, Marco.