Date:      Wed, 13 Mar 1996 06:47:48 -0800 (PST)
From:      Greg Lehey <grog>
To:        jerry@border.com (Jerry Kendall)
Cc:        hackers
Subject:   Re: NFS errors

> On Tue, 12 Mar 1996, J Wunsch wrote:
>

> > As Jerry Kendall wrote:
> > >

> > > I get a non detailed error message in my /var/log/messages file with
> > > this exports file below...
> >
> > The error message is detailed enough. :)
> >
> > > ----------- /etc/exports -----------
> > > /home /usr /var -maproot=0:0 aldebaran.kcis.com
> >
> > > Mar 11 23:33:47 antares mountd[84]: Bad exports list line /home /usr
> >
> > I suppose /home, /usr, and /var aren't all part of the root file
> > system?  Each line in /etc/exports must refer to exactly one physical
> > file system.
> >

> I don't think I would agree with that, /DiskLess/usr AND
> /DiskLess/rootfs/altair ARE in the same '/' filesystem...
>
> It does not complain about them... AND they work...
>
> ----------- /etc/exports -----------
> /DiskLess/usr /DiskLess/rootfs/altair -maproot=0:0 altair.kcis.com
> /home /usr /var -maproot=0:0 aldebaran.kcis.com

Why don't you agree with that?  That's what he's saying.  Each line in
/etc/exports must contain names from one and only one file system.
/DiskLess/usr and /DiskLess/rootfs/altair fulfill this condition, so
mountd doesn't complain about them.  /home /usr and /var don't fulfill
this condition, so mountd complains.  You don't need to include the
mount point of the file system in the entry.

Greg