Date:      Sat, 14 Dec 1996 12:18:21 -0800 (PST)
From:      Steve Reid <steve@edmweb.com>
To:        Christian Hochhold <vlad@dusk.net>
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: questions...

> The /sbin directory's ( as an example ) files seem to
> be executable by anyone on the system.
> I have changed a few of the files ( ie. dmesg )
> to be executable by root as well as
> the bin group only.

Only worry about files that are suid or sgid. Other binaries can't do
anything that the user can't do. Removing the execute bit from
non-suid/sgid binaries won't add any to security- a malicious user can
create any non-suid/sgid file him/her self. Even if you remove gcc, the
user could still FTP the files from ftp.cdrom.com. Removing FTP won't help
either- clever use of redirection can allow a user to transfer whatever
files they want over their own tty.

Definately _do_ go through the list of suid/sgid files (use find) and
remove the s bit from anything that users shouldn't need. Be wary of
world-writable files, directories, and devices. It's also a good idea to
disable anything in /etc/inetd.conf that you don't need. Principle of
least privileges.