Date:      Sat, 14 Nov 1998 16:18:18 -0800 (PST)
From:      Bryce Newall <data@dreamhaven.net>
To:        Aaron Parmelee <trout@net66.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: trying to set up printing

On Sat, 14 Nov 1998, Aaron Parmelee wrote:

>   i have a HP DeskJet 712c printer connected to port LPT1(i assume this is
> a parallel port, let me know if i am wrong).

Yes, you are correct -- LPT1 is a parallel port.

> however, i cannot get it to print. i have been following
> the freebsd handbook on printing, using lptest, etc, but i can't get
> anything to go. does anyone know if this printer can print plain text, post

How did you set up /etc/printcap?  Without any fancy filtering or
anything, you should still be at least able to print basic text.  What
command are you using to print it?  "lpr" ?  And if so, if you run "lpq",
does it show a print job in your queue?  I think your problem is probably
with your printcap file, so if you can show me what that looks like, it'll
be helpful.  (I just went through a printing battle myself, so I'm
relatively well-versed now. :> )