Date:      Sat, 26 Oct 2002 00:00:30 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Marc Schneiders <marc@schneiders.org>
To:        Paolo <bloom_64@yahoo.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Returned message

On Fri, 25 Oct 2002, at 13:06 [=GMT-0700], Paolo wrote:

> Seriously, we can't fight spam blocking e-mails coming from specific
> domains, or we end-up with everything blocked.

Most if not all spam blocking is by IP numbers, not domains where the
email addresses are in, as these are usually fake in spam. If the
reverse dns is working (which it is often not for spam hosts), you
can, if I am not mistaken, block them by the domains that show up from
a reverse lookup by listing these in /etc/mail/access.

> Let's attack ISPs. Here in Italy I can prosecute spammers as a new law
> is in place from some months ago.
>
> So far I've no more evidence of spam coming from Italian ISP.

I don't think this approach will work. Nobody has time to prove in
great detail why they block certain IP numbers or whole ranges of
them. It would mean keeping emails to abuse@ and the auto replies
received, plus the spam messages to show that it did not help to
complain. One would have to set up a database. Dealing with spam
wastes already enough time.

It may sound unfriendly (isn't meant that way though): Nobody is
obliged to accept your mail. If you wear the wrong clothes, some
people or groups will not talk to you. The same is true for email, if
you use the wrong ISP. Whether the other side is right or wrong in
rejecting you personally, is an interesting point to battle, but it
won't help you, unless you have time to convince each and everyone to
unblock your ISP. Easier to change to another ISP. Which has the
advance benefit of reducing the business of those that allow spam.

> Please give me evidence and I'll prosecute interbusiness or whatever
> else

The problem is, you will probably not find the people guilty of the
spam. And even before your court case starts, hundreds of new
spammers using the same ISP will have filled your inbox with spam.

Have a look at http://ordb.org. You can search there also whether an
IP is on other black lists than theirs. And let your ISP know what
you've found. And tell him you cannot send email to lots of people,
because he has no decent abuse policy and/or handling.