Date:      Tue, 18 Feb 1997 12:28:07 -0600 (CST)
From:      Jerry Dunham <jdunham@fc.net>
To:        brandon@cold.org (Brandon Gillespie)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: root EDITOR as 'ee' in 2.2??

Brandon Gillespie babbled:
> Date: Tue, 18 Feb 1997 10:51:12 -0700 (MST)
> From: Brandon Gillespie <brandon@cold.org>
> To: Peter Korsten <peter@grendel.IAEhv.nl>
>
> On Mon, 17 Feb 1997, Peter Korsten wrote:
> >
> > Not everyone is familiar with vi, you know. ':wq' or 'ZZ' to save
> > a file, switching between edit mode and visual mode which is not
> > visible... If you want FreeBSD to be installable by other people
> > that Your Average Wizard, don't choose vi.
> >
> > So therefore, 'ee' was chosen, because that editor keeps a handy
> > menu with often used keystrokes. It isn't very big either, which
> > was another consideration.
> >
> > And what the heck, it's easily reconfigured anyway.
>
> Yeah, so leave it with the _STANDARD_ 'vi' and change the sysinstall post
> configuration to 'setup root environment' rather than just set root's
> password, and allow the editor to be selected there.
>
> This change makes 1% of the people happy and just irritated 80%+ of the
> other admins.

I'd like to second this notion.  I'm not going to defend vi, because it's
certainly not the world's best editor, but there's a lot to be said for
the default editor being the same on every system one might log into. "ee"
will never qualify.

--
Jerry Dunham                      GS650G                 Atarian ordinaire
jdunham@fc.net                                           (512)335-0674 (H)

   It's easier to get forgiveness for being wrong than forgiveness for
   being right.