Date:      Wed, 26 Jul 2000 15:32:24 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Bart van Leeuwen <bart@ixori.demon.nl>
To:        "Crist J. Clark" <cristjc@earthlink.net>
Cc:        James Wyatt <jwyatt@rwsystems.net>, Jean-Claude STAQUET <jcs@polyflow.be>, freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: allow access of root user

Of course audit trails etc are much nicer when people su to root, and in
general being better able to see whats going on is a good reason to use
su. My comment is not that using su is pointless, but that the disallowing
interacive root logons like the default configuration does is pointless
because that same default configuration provides easy ways around it (for
example with rsh, which is also enabled by default, and yes, I know that
one should be turned off, just as you should disable 'secure' on console
etc to prevent direct root logons there ;-)
So, the reason why I think it is pointless is because it is only done for
the first 10% or so and leaves the rest to the user... well, in that case
the annoyance it causes is bigger then the trouble it saves imho.

Bart van Leeuwen
 mailto:bart@ixori.demon.nl  -  http://www.ixori.demon.nl/