Date:      Wed, 21 Oct 1998 06:37:20 +0100 (MET)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        matthew@wolfepub.com (Matthew Hagerty)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Network device slowdown?

> The machine has been running for 123 days now and there seems to be a slow
> down in the ethernet performance again.  I tried a 5MB ftp transfer from
> another machine on the same hub and it took over 2 minutes!  That same
> transfer from another machine takes about 9 seconds.  I know I should

ethernet cards tend to break sometimes, and you might see intermittent
failures with long packets (i am assuming you have not switched
hardware). Also, slow transfers are typical problems with misconfigured
interrupts.

a tcpdump from some other machine on the same segment would help
tracking the problem.

	luigi