Date:      Fri, 27 Jul 2001 08:39:34 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: i-node problems

Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm@toybox.placo.com> types:
> Very little as long as your system doesen't routinely crash.
>
> /var and /usr are kept separate because one of the things people
> have learned over time is that if a filesystem is in the middle of
> being written and the system crashes, then the filesystem has more of a
> chance of developing errors that fsck cannot repair than if the
> filesystem was totally quiescent.  So the thought is that if you have
> a large /usr with a lot of installed staff and the system falls over
> on it's face and /var gets scrambled, then so what, you just newfs it and
> restore from the last backup - short and sweet and little time lost.
> By contrast if /usr goes down and you have a couple gigs of data in it...
>
> But I've done exactly what you have done on some systems before for
> the same reason with no problems.

Two things have changed since the days when that was standard that
make this less of a problem. One is that the filesystems are much more
robust. The only time I've gotten a badly screwed file system in the
last five years was when a power went out three times in a short
period, the second two catching the system fscking it's file systems.

The other is that instead of being a timesharing system with tens or
hundreds of people logged in at once, you see a lot of single-user
systems. The value of the time lost fixing a broken file system is
much more expensive than in the latter case.

	<mike