Date:      Tue, 24 Feb 1998 17:22:02 -0500 (EST)
From:      Dan Janowski <danj@3skel.com>
To:        Joe McGuckin <joe@via.net>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: A web-based FreeBSD configuration tool.

I like the way it works with Apple printers. With arp one
associated the printer's ethernet address with an IP address
and it sees that the packets are coming and probably something
about and arp who has network query. You then can telnet or
whatever, http, to the device.

Doesn't require any voodoo network sniffing and magic DNS.

Dan

On Tue, 24 Feb 1998, Joe McGuckin wrote:

> I think it would be neat if the install code had a www interface, so that I
> didn't need to scrounge up a keyboard & monitor in install freebsd.
>
> You might say that you need a keyboard & monitor to set the IP address ?
>
> Not really.
>
>  - You could come up snooping the ethernet
>  - probe & find an unused IP address
>  - look for DNS query packets - looking for a 'magic name' (install.freebsd.org)
>  - if you see that, send a reply out the ethernet with your IP address.
>
> So, I'd put the boot floppy in the machine, hit reset, go over to my web browser
> and type in http://install.freebsd.org. If the machine hadn't booted, I'd
> get a web page from FreeBSD stating that. Once the machine had booted,
> the next time a hit 'refresh' on the browser, I'd get the first page of the
> install dialog.
>
> I think Cisco does something similar to this for their 'out-of-the-box'
> configuration.

danj@3skel.com
Dan Janowski
Triskelion Systems, Inc.