Date:      Thu, 09 Sep 1999 12:59:50 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Libstand/netboot revision, call for review.

I've heavily reworked the network infrastructure in libstand to try to
remove the bulk of the cruft and generally clean it up.  Casualties of
this process are RARP and bootparam, neither of which are relevant to
FreeBSD.   Diffs at http://www.freebsd.org/~msmith/stand.diff

This required some changes to the SRM network driver in the Alpha
loader, and I've cut it right down with the intention of doing the
presettable parameters in a different fashion.   Diffs at
http://www.freebsd.org/~msmith/alpha-boot.diff

I've tested that this code compiles and works to the extent that it
will load a kernel using bootp and NFS.  I haven't tested TFTP.

Modulo bugs and the absence of a DHCP client, this is about where I want
to leave things for now.  There is still some ugliness in this code, but
it's contained for the moment.

(The most notable bug is the failure of 'ls' over NFS, which I'm chasing
 this afternoon.)

--
\\  The mind's the standard       \\  Mike Smith
\\  of the man.                   \\  msmith@freebsd.org