Date:      Thu, 30 Oct 2008 13:51:20 +0100
From:      Bartosz Giza <gizmen@blurp.pl>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Cc:        Alexander Motin <mav@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: two NIC on 2 core system (scheduling problem)

Wednesday 29 of October 2008 14:34:05 Alexander Motin napisa=C5=82(a):
> Bartosz Giza wrote:
> > So now i am lost again. If packet filtering on bge card is counted to
> > irq17: bge0 process so i think it should use more cpu.
> > From what you wrote there should be no difference  for me if card use
> > tasq or irq. Those processes do exactly the same thing? If that is true
> > so why there is so much difference in cpu usage:
> >
> >   20 root       1 -68    -     0K     8K -      0 161:01 18.75% em0
> > taskq 21 root       1 -68    -     0K     8K WAIT   1 100:10  5.47%
> > irq17: bge0 23 root       1 -68    -     0K     8K WAIT   0  75:31=20
> > 2.98% irq16: fxp1
> >
> > If what you wrote is true that overhead of incomming packet on bge0
> > should be counted to irq17: bge0
> > So don't understand why there is so big cpu usage on em0. From what you
> > are saying irq17 and em0 taskq should have similar usage. Even more
> > bge0 passes about two times more traffic  than em0. I simply don't
> > understand this.
> >
> > So don't understand why there is so big cpu usage on em0.
>
> Have no idea, there are too much possibilities to answer without
> profiling. Different incoming packet rates, different firewall match
> patterns in opposite directions, different card's hardware at least. I
> have noticed that even different types of em cards may have twice as
> different CPU usage due to using different interrupt moderation
> techniques.

THanks for all hints that you gave me. I have found what cause this high cp=
u=20
usage.... ipfw :) I have a lot of rules in ipfw and actually i have tune=20
them up and after that em0 taskq process sterted to use less cpu(similar to=
=20
bge0). It was bad firewall design

Could you tell me which chipset from intel would you recommend or you know=
=20
that is best from all that you tested.

Once again thanks for answers :)