Date:      Wed, 28 Nov 2001 10:10:48 +0000
From:      Rasputin <rasputin@submonkey.net>
To:        "Stephen T. Shipley" <steve@e-shipley.com>
Cc:        security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: crypted remote backup

* Stephen T. Shipley <steve@e-shipley.com> [011127 03:57]:
> Configure rsync.conf on source server (with 40g file) and run as a daemon. Provide a net name like "www" for alias to path.
> And possibly run from one of the /etc/periodic/daily scripts like this (on destination box).
>
> /usr/local/bin/rsync -e /usr/bin/ssh -avz <source address>::www  \

I think (though could be wrong) that the double colon here  ^^
will cause rsync to use rsh as a transport, despite the fact that
you specified ssh as an *available* transport with '-e ssh' earlier.

And while we're on the subject, what's the safest way of doing this as root
(to preserve permissions, and have access to a whole fs tree;
I'm not too bothered about crypto at the destination directory)

Cheers.

--
Love and scandal are the best sweeteners of tea.
Rasputin :: Jack of All Trades - Master of Nuns ::