Date:      Wed, 1 Sep 1999 21:50:45 -0500
From:      Frank Pawlak <fpawlak@execpc.com>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        Frank Pawlak <fpawlak@execpc.com>, "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sorry, I just couldn't let this go by...

On Wed, Sep 01, 1999 at 07:51:01PM -0600, Brett Glass wrote:
> At 06:52 PM 9/1/99 -0500, Frank Pawlak wrote:
>
>  >> Now, it doesn't take a mathematician to realize that, in David's model, the
> > > GAP between the sizes of the user bases also grows by a factor of g every
> > > year. In fact, the larger g is, the more Linux pulls ahead. Simple math.
> > > What's more, if you assume that the total number of users of ALL OSes is
> > > increasing at a uniform rate, FreeBSD's market share MUST decline relative
> > > to that of Linux. Why? Because, having fewer users, its market share
> > > is impacted more by the user bases of other OSes.
> > >

> >Huh! Buy what convoluted piece of logic does the above play out?
>
> You can see the first point simply by drawing a graph. Start two exponential
> curves, one at the origin and another farther in. The size of the gap between
> the curves will increase exponentially.

This much is clear.

> The second point is more subtle, but is easy to understand if you think about
> it in the following way. Let's suppose Linux and FreeBSD were the only two
> OSes in existence. If this were the case, and they followed the exponential
> curves that David posits, their market shares would remain constant. But
> there ARE other OSes, of course, so we must introduce them into the equation.
> What is the effect of doing this? Well, because FreeBSD has far fewer users
> than Linux, those other OSes cut into its market share more, on a percentage
> basis, than into the market share of Linux. (The disparity increases as Linux
> pulls farther ahead of FreeBSD.) So, FreeBSD can (and does!) see a decrease
> in market share  even as Linux sees an increase.

This is where I think that fuzzy logic enters the argument.

> The OS Counter statistics are not perfect, but if anything they OVERestimate
> the penetration of the BSDs. Why? Because queso mis-identifies some other OSes
> as "BSD Family," and also because the survey was of RIPE addresses. (The BSDs
> have higher penetration in Europe than in the States, because the culture there
> is -- and always has been -- more receptive to alternative OSes.) Also, FreeBSD
> systems comprise only some of the systems identified as "BSD Family." When one
> considers all of these factors, it becomes clear that FreeBSD is *definitely*
> losing market share. This should be a matter of concern to FreeBSD users.
> Fortunately, I believe that the trend can be reversed.
>
> > > No, Jordan, I do not "slam" FreeBSD or BSD UNIX in general, and you should
> > > not attempt to discredit me by making this false claim. I do carefully critique
> > > the way in which BSD UNIX in general is being marketed, promoted, and evangelized.
> > >

> >Critique indeed!  Brett, I am beginning to lose respect for someone that used
> >to fight the good fight for BSD.
>
> Disagreement is not justification for a loss of respect. (I respect many people
> with whom I disagree.) On the other hand, if I ever fail to adhere to principle in
> the face of opposition, you are by all means entitled to lose respect for me.
>
> >Your motives are at time questionable -- tongue firmly planted in cheek.
>
> Which begs the obvious question: What do you believe my motives are?

Please don't put words on my lips.  I never implied that I'm losing
respect because we disagree.  That would be pretty small of me.
Correct, disagreement is not a reason to lose respect for a person.
However, I am getting the feeling that you a beating a hollow drum.  For
sake of argument, let's just assume that perhaps Jordan, and David have
solid ground on which to base their argument.  In my own humble way I
have seen evidence that would tend to corroborate their statements.  For
example, a year or so ago I didn't see much BSD except at ISPs.  Where as
today I am finding it in IS departments right along with Linux.  And, am
hearing such things like it makes for a better server platform.  Is this
smoke and mirrors?  Further, it is well known by you that I of all people
do not worship at the Jordan shrine, so there is no ulterior motive to
come to his defense.  To refresh your memory -- about a year ago there was a
particularly nasty flame war......etc.

As to your motives, at this point that appears to be an open question.  I
think that we are all very clear that you have issues with the marketing
program.  But, your tactics are not going to get it done, and you are
smart enough to know that.  I have read some of your articles which
indicate a level headed approach to the issues.  On this forum that
approach appears to be missing.  Unless your motives are to constantly
piss people off.

Frank