Date:      17 Mar 1998 12:35:34 -0500
From:      Chris Shenton <cshenton@it.hq.nasa.gov>
To:        Brett Collars <brettc@guide.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Help - Archive Python/Buslogic > uk0 ?

Brett Collars <brettc@guide.net> writes:

> I am having probs with dump though - ex:
>
> 	dump 0fu /dev/rst0 /dev/rsd0s1f
>
> I get prompted for the next volume (always). I am using "dump 0fua"
> as a workaround but is there anyway to get it to properly recognize
> the density (0x24) and blocksize in freeBSD so I can span several
> tapes ?

I'm not a backup expert or that cluefull about dump. But don't you
need to tell it the tape capacity? FreeBSD has a flag in dump which
allows you to specify the capacity in more humane terms than having to
calculate it from density, length, tracks, etc. Hummm... I couldda
sworn that it allowed you to specify the number of blocks and the
blocksize or the absolute capacity (e.g. 4GB) or something but I don't
see this on my 2.2.6-BETA system. I do this the following which looks
new to me:

   -a      ``auto-size''. Bypass all tape length considerations, and enforce
             writing until an end-of-media indication is returned.  This fits
             best for most modern tape drives.  Use of this option is particu-
             larly recommended when appending to an existing tape, or using a
             tape drive with hardware compression (where you can never be sure
             about the compression ratio).

Sorry, that's all I can offer.

BTW: Amanda rocks for doing multi-system backups over the net to the
	Archive juke. Get it in the ports hierarchy.