Date:      Fri, 27 Jul 2001 09:37:21 -0400
From:      User & Ian Patrick Thomas <ipthomas_77@yahoo.com>
To:        "Dan O'Connor" <dan@mostgraveconcern.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Installing a new Hard Drive to add space

As it was put forth by Dan O'Connor on Thu, Jul 26, 2001 at 09:55:46PM -0700...
> > > What is going to be the best way to add a new hard drive after I
> have a
> > > working system up and running?  Any good reading material or any
> kind of help
> > > would be appreciated.
> >
> > http://www.mostgraveconcern.com/freebsd/2disk.html
>

> Hi, guys.
>
> I just looked over that Cheat Sheet (which I wrote almost 2 years ago)
> and immediately noticed a few items to keep in mind:
>
> 1.    The 'wd' and 'wdc' devices should now be 'ad' and 'ata', as the
> old 'western digital' drive code was replaced by 'AT-Attachment' code in
> FreeBSD 4.  Keep this in mind when adding the new drive to your kernel
> config.
>
> 2.    Although I only moved /var at the time, the procedure *should*
> work for the whole /usr tree, if you want to move the whole thing...
>
> 3.    That cheat sheet is really old, so make sure you have a current
> backup of anything you want to save, just in case!
>
> If you try this method, please let me know how it works out (and what
> you actually had to do to be successful), and I'll update that cheat
> sheet accordingly.
>
> Thanks,
>
> --Dan
>
> --
> Dan O'Connor
> On Matters of Most Grave Concern
>     http://www.mostgraveconcern.com
> FreeBSD Cheat Sheets
>     http://www.mostgraveconcern.com/freebsd/

	I just used the cheat sheet moving a system on a 5400 rpm drive
connected to a UDMA 33 controller, to a 7200 rpm drive connected to a UDMA
66 controller.

1.	The drive shows up on ata2(there are four IDE controllers on this mobo)
and is listed as ad4.  I fdisked ad4 as in the cheat sheet and did
disklabel.  I did a few more partitions though.

/mount
/mount/usr
/mount/usr/local
/mount/home
/mount/var
/mount/var/tmp

2.	I found that I had to run ./MAKEDEV ad4 after doing these things.  I
tarred the partitions and copied them to the new drive.  I also had to edit
fstab to take into account the new changes.

3.	After switching my BIOS to boot from ext(the UDMA 66 controller), the
system just booted up.  Of course I started in single user and enabled
softupdates.  You can also enable soft updates in disklabel now.

	Overall, the process was pretty easy, although I have read on this list
that dump is safer to use than tar.  Maybe switching the tar commands with
the equivalent dump commands and options would be a good idea.

Ian